Sunday, February 3, 2008

Getting in Shape

So I decided to take some steps to get into better shape (personally, I don't mind the shape I am in - but apparently that is not just my decision). I guess the general consensus is that one should be able to walk to the mailbox without passing out.

Anyway, I have some steps I am taking to get back into shape. Actually there are a lot of steps - 6 flights of them. My plan to start out with is to take the stairs up to my office every time I go up to my office - which is twice a day (unless I forget something and have to go back to the car).

My first day I tried this turned out to be a rather intense workout. First - I took the bus to work which is 2/10 of a mile from my apartment. Then walked from the stop to my building (1/10 mi). Then, why not start off my plan with a bang - I decided to run up the six flights of stairs to my office. I was pretty successful - until I almost passed out in the stairwell at about the fourth floor. Using mostly arm strength, I managed to pull myself to the sixth floor and I plopped down in my chair. I did not stop coughing until halfway through a call with a customer.

So, my boss wants to have an off site meeting with me so we could talk about some designs without interruption. We walked back to the mall (1/10 mi) and got coffee. Then we walked around the mall a few times (1 1/2 mi). Needless to say I did not climb the stairs back up to the office. But at lunch I was asked to go out to lunch with the VP and my boss. So - back to the mall to "Blue C Sushi" (1/2 mi) and then roll my way back to the office.

I will try to keep up my daily workout regimen - though, I should probably work up to running the stairs - that way I can actually make it to my desk without collapsing by the printer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Workout Plan? I walk the dog. haha

Anonymous said...

Try 4 feet of snow - shovel our walk and drive and hiway berm, then shovel Grandma Edna's walk and drive and berm, then shovel the school's walk and berm to the play area, then haul wood to the basement. Now it is warming up so we are shoveling roofs so they don't collapse! We may not see snow piles gone till May or June!