Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween means Candy! ('till Christmas)

So - as most of you know, Jenni and I bought our first house in March of this year. We love the house and the neighborhood. The neighbor's all have kids and it's just a nice quiet place (except our house).

[Lucas and Chase are starting to feel better after their sickness and Max doesn't seem to be getting sick. They are still coughing a lot though - but we've dealt with that before.]

Being our first Halloween in this neighborhood I didn't want to be under-prepared for the kids. I went to the store and picked up 3 large bags of non-chocolate* candy. I sort of forgot we have our "trunk or treat" at the church building from 6pm - 8pm.

For those of you that don't know a Trunk or Treat is where people of our congregation pull their cars and vans into the church parking lot and let the area kids have a safe place to get candy. We went and got candy there. Chase was not feeling well so he and I walked between the Van and the bathroom several times in the hour we were there. I can't blame it all on him though - I wasn't feeling too good either.

We got home at around 8:00 pm. I lit the front porch light and lit our jack-o-lanterns and put our big horde of candy next to the door. I'm glad I went through that much work. A few minutes later a kid came to the door. I couldn't tell what he was dressed up as - but I am pretty sure it wasn't his school clothes - so I gave him a handful of candy. In hindsight, I should have given him the whole bowl because he was the only one.

Maybe I don't really understand Halloween. After all, my family really didn't trick or treat. I remember a couple times wearing the same costume as everyone else - an Eskimo. And a time when my family dressed up as a rainbow... that's right. We all had different colors of sweat suits and we stood next to each other and leaned over. I remember seeing a lot of pictures from Halloweens that I allegedly participated in but don't really remember trick or treating.

I imagined hundreds of children eager for candy that I bought just a few ours earlier. Young children, old children, small children... and children where the last thing they need is another box of nerds.

Anyway, we now have enough candy to last till the expiration dates (which is sometime in 2012).

[* Kylie doesn't like when Jen eats chocolate. It gives her (Kylie) a tummy ache and some separation anxiety.]

No comments: