Saturday, January 19, 2008

Futon Fun!

A few words come to mind when I think about futons: comfortable, couch, bed, easy to move. That's right - Easy to move. I guess this realization comes with a little perspective. To move a full size couch through an apartment you have to move everything out of the way - tables, toys, children... etc. Not to mention, it is just plain difficult to get a couch through a standard size doorway.

Here is my "perspective" on why it is easier to move a futon. Yes, it is bigger, heavier and collapses on you when you least expect it. However, it handles keeping the kids away using a clever invention - the mattress. I can struggle for an hour moving the futon's frame as long as I laid the mattress on the floor of the living room ahead of time. I didn't even have to instruct the boys to stay on the mattress and out of my way.

This discovery brings another thing to mind - Since the futon is now out of Max's room and in the living room, can I use the futon to my advantage to keep the kids contained during difficult times? Time will tell.

Anyway, Lucas is excited about Greg and Lauren coming to visit in a few weeks. When I finished struggling with the furniture we had the following exchange:

Lucas: Is that for Greg and "Lorn" to sleep on?
Brian: It's "Lor - en" (mispelling intentional)
Lucas (pauses): Are you serious?
Brian: Yeah - "Lor-en"
Lucas: Are you kiddin me?

I decided not to take the conversation any further - mostly because Chase fell off the futon. You have to understand Chase. Things that look like they would hurt him (like elbowing him in the face while reaching for the remote) doesn't hurt but Lucas breathing while two feet away sends him running like he chopped his legs off in a lawn mower.

Anyway, the futon has been in the living room for 20 minutes and already Chase has fallen off and Lucas stubbed his toe (I heard him muttering about Meme and Papa's toe-truck). This begs the age old question - "Futon: Friend or Foe?"

5 comments:

Lauren said...

I don't mind being Aunt Lorn! After all, you're going to be Uncle Bane and Aunt Denny.

Brian said...

Yeah... none of those are worse than Unka Wee Wee!

Anonymous said...

Im laughing so hard Im crying...sniff

Becca said...

I found myself laughing hysterically reading your blogs! I don't know if it's your sense of humor:) or writing skills or my lack of sleep or my understanding of the predicaments we often find ourselves in when kids are present!

Anonymous said...

You know, one cannot run away after chopping one's leg off by a lawn mower.