Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Renting Movies

Recently, Jenni and I decided to give Netflix a try. It is very simple:
  1. Make a list of movies you want to see
  2. They send you three
  3. Return a movie
  4. They send you another from your list
  5. Repeat 3-4
It is a very simple process. You can even set up multiple movie queues for family members. There in lies the problem. You see, we all have very different tastes. I set up a queue for TV shows we wanted to see. That way when we get done with one disc from a season we get the next disc in that queue - the next in the season. So it is set up so that one disc comes from the TV queue (the one in my name). That leaves 2 movies in the main queue (in Jenni's name).

It is a very simple process. We have a TV show disc and two family discs. But there is still a problem. The boys like having a movie to watch... rent "Aladdin" and return it to get "The Fox and the Hound". Fantastic (forget the fact that they don't understand "renting" a movie - they are still asking for Aladdin). But this leaves only one disc to choose for Jenni and I.

Today, I proposed a new solution. I would set up the queue in my name for the movies I want to see. I would add a queue for the boys' movies. Perfect. But, Jenni made a very perceptive observation (she is really good at that passive thing). She said, "So... the TV shows are coming out of my queue". (darn it - my master plan was thwarted) "What was that?" I said trying to avoid the implicit accusations of hogging the Netflix queue.

Like I was saying: it is a very simple process. Put everything in one queue - whoever reorders the queue last - wins! (I should probably upgrade our subscription when Netflix queue space becomes the currency of our household)

7 comments:

Becca said...

Ya know Brian, women like it when their man watches a nice long girly movie with them. Makes them love you more!

Brian said...

I am up for a girly move every so often :P but it is hard to argue for a sci-fi movie.

Anonymous said...

Migrating dinosaurs, naked children, babies left unattended and men who wash dishes - it all seems pretty unreal to me...and then you try and take her chick flicks away!! Shame on you! Keep em comin, Brian. Love, Beth

Lauren said...

We just have a very democratic queue set up in our house - TV show I want to see, TV show Greg wants to see, movie we both want to see, movie just I want to see (there's no movies that just Greg wants to see, since he has no time to watch movies by himself anyway - and I like sci-fi and action), and then it repeats. Of course, we don't have any movies for Rachel (she is content with her Veggie Tales) cluttering up the queue, but the please-all queue seems to work pretty well for us. You and your multiple queues just make everything too complicated!

Oh, and we own Aladdin, so we'll bring it with us when we come!

Jordan said...

Our Blockbuster queue has the same problem...

Gilmore Girls (season 5)
Oceans 13
The Nanny Diaries
The Mummy Returns
Hairspray
I, Robot
Gilmore Girls (season 4)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Ghost Whisperer
Cool Hand Luke
First Daughter
Hogan's Heroes
Dr. Quinn
Patriot Games

...

Anonymous said...

you should just buy the movies the boys like to repeat all the time and that will leave more room for yours!!! Is life full of interesting dilema's?

Jenni said...

The reason we got Netflix was to save money...we were buying too many movies for the boys!